It’s Memorial Day Weekend, and that means the unofficial start to summer! Here are some safety tips to kick off your season safely.
• Before your first BBQ, fully inspect your grill and the propane tank to ensure it is in proper working order.
• Store propane tanks outside in well-ventilated areas.
• Grill outdoors only and set your grill on a level surface away from the house, deck railings, and hanging branches.
• Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grill at all times.
• Never leave your lit grill unattended, and allow it to cool down completely before moving it or disposing of the ash.
OUTDOOR CANDLES AND TIKI TORCHES
• Make sure citronella candles are placed where they can’t be knocked over.
• Ensure that flames from candles or tiki torches aren’t too close to items that could catch on fire.
• After you light the candles, be sure to store multipurpose lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
• At the end of use, make sure to extinguish all flames.
• When hosting a sleepover ensure that you review your fire escape plan with your overnight guests.
• When your child attends a sleepover, ask the hosts to share their fire escape plan with him or her.